Friday, September 21, 2007

Fear the Wonton Queen! September 18, 2007

I am the self-proclaimed wonton-making queen. I make wontons like there is no tomorrow. Tuesday afternoon, I hunkered down and made a whooooooooole lot of wontons. I like wontons because they remind me of home. I remember being a tiny little version of me, and making wontons with my mum. There’s nothing like a hot bowl of wonton soup waiting for you when you get home from school. Since moving out from home, I’ve found that wontons can brighten any crappy day. Even my housemates loved them!

I often made wontons for potlucks, since they can be easily made in advance. I’m quite proud of the fact that my Asian friends all said that my wontons taste like home. Some of them are from Taiwan, others from China, and many others are from Southeast Asia!

At first, I was hesitant to make wontons because I like to make at least one package at a time. This means 103924 wontons for Lucy to eat all at once. Then I started to freeze them, and store them for when I get lazy, or when I decide to be adventurous and add a couple of wontons to my instant noodles.


Over the past four years, I’ve been perfecting my wonton filling. The following lists the ingredients in my wontons.

1 package lean ground pork or chicken (pork tastes better)
1 small onion, minced as tiny as possible
3 large napa cabbage leaves, minced as tiny as possible
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar

Mix together in a large bowl until combined.


The recipe listed above makes enough for two packages of wonton wrappers. I might make a post with directions on how to wrap wontons, but that’ll have to be after I finish eating this batch.

There are many variations on wontons, and it usually depends on what you like. Sometimes we add minced shrimp. The possibilities are endless!

I didn’t take any pictures of the wontons that were cooked and served with noodles, unfortunately. Here’s Wikipedia’s article on wonton noodles. In its place, I’ve added some pictures of the frozen wontons in bags!


Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...