Saturday, September 08, 2007

Lunch Date - August 14, 2007

Pictures courtesy of Christine's camera.

Since my cousin came up to Ottawa for a while, I thought it would be nice to hang out. Christine, my cousin, and I met up for a little lunch date. I only had an hour for lunch, so it was all a bit rushed. It was still nice, though.

No one had any preference on where to go, so I suggested we eat at Le Moulin de Provence. It’s a bakery/deli (or patisserie/bistro, if you want to get all technical) in the Byward Market, located in the little plaza thingie. I can’t remember what it’s called. [Edit: I found out it's called the Byward Market Square.] Well, in any case, this plaza has little restaurants which were cute, relatively cheap. Also, it has just about any type of food you can imagine. Almost. I mistakenly thought there was a Greek place, but after walking the plaza a few times, we discovered I lied. Oops!



I worked downtown in the summer, so I wandered all over the place for lunch. Then it occurred to me that I should check out the Market. Duh. That’s how I came across le Moulin. I’ve always noticed it, but for some reason or another, I never stopped to eat.

I’ve had a bunch of their sandwiches and quiches, but this time around, I bought my favourite: smoked salmon croissant. It’s so simple. It was a fresh croissant, with a some lettuce, smoked salmon, and loads of horseradish Dijon mustard. The mustard burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnns. But it burns good, if you know what I mean. I loved it. I was crying and sniffling so much that Christine and my cousin asked me if I was okay. “It’s amaaaaaaaaaaazing. So spicy… love it… mmmm….” I tried to explain.




Christine got a turkey croissant with mayo. It wasn’t overly exciting. She said she wasn’t in the mood to try something new, so this was a reliable choice.

My cousin ordered ratatouille on puff pastry. She loved it. I had a bite and agreed. Not enough to pass up on my croissant, though. “The pastry was flaky and the vegetables were well-seasoned,” she told me later. The herbs were fantastic. I remember it to be light, but satisfying. I think I want to find a good recipe to try out at home.
Fin.
~ * ~
Address:

Le Moulin de Provence
55 Byward Market Square
Ottawa, Ontario
(613) 241-9152

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...