Sunday, September 30, 2007

Spring Rolls? Biscuits? Where? - September 8th and 9th

September 8th:
After work, my parents and brother, Andrew, got busy wrapping up spring rolls for dinner. We were having bún (pronounced "booung") tonight. The noodles were already cooked and cooled. All we had to do was prepare everything else.



Having been frozen for a couple of months, some of the wrappers were dry and unworkable. Or so I thought. Apparently, you could make spring rolls out of the stiff wrappers. All you have to do it is add some warm water to soften them up. We had some sad looking ones (made by my dad), some decent ones (made from Andrew), and we had some perfectly wrapped ones (made by my mom, of course). Into the hot oil they went. Out came some hot yummy spring rolls. Mmm.

My dad then took some beef, some sliced onions, some oyster sauce, some soy sauce, some cooking wine, some salt and some pepper; mixed them all up in the wok and voila. Stir fried beef with onions to go with the noodles and spring rolls. Then you add shredded carrots, cucumbers and lettuce,
thai basil, crushed penunts, and a fish sauce mixture (fish sauce, vinegar, sugar and warm water).
I love this stuff. Yummy spring rolls with noodles and veggies.


September 9th:
After work, once again, I come home and was greeted by my aunt, uncle, and cousin. Right when I walked in the house, the scent of beef simmering on the stove was in the air. I was right. My dad was making "pot roast." The beef, with some herbs and spices, was simmering away on the stove and the potatoes were being cooked with some carrots and snow peas. Oh man, did it smell good in the house. This was such a typical American dinner. One of those dinners you'd see people eating in old movies. One thing was missing though. Biscuits. My mom quickly ran to the store and bought some as we started to set everything up for dinner. In and out. Not even 10 minutes and they were done. Lovely. Freshly baked biscuits.


The beef was so tender. It was simmering for 8 hours, so how could it not be? The gravy was very flavourful, as my dad used the stewing liquids. The biscuits, straight out of the oven, were so hot, fluffy, and buttery. The beef melted in my mouth. Ugh. I want more.


Oh, I definitely overate that night. I was so close to popping. But if I were to go back, I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...