Monday, December 10, 2007

Sesame Balls - Dec. 2nd

You've probably see them in Chinese bakeries and dim sum places. They can be filled with either sweet or salty things, like the time I tried some at the Welcome Back Restuarant. I'm not sure what they're called, but I think it's right. [I know the picture is blurry. My brother was trying to keep still for a close up shot, but it was still piping hot.]


My mom decided she wanted to try making deep fried sesame balls. Today, my mom wanted to try making a dessert one with a mung bean filling.

I have no idea what the recipe for any of it is because she made it all so quickly. See? I have the pictures to prove it. Here she is swiftly making the little balls.

Booo... I hate blurry pictures. They make me sad. T_T

Here are some balls in a bowl of sesame seeds. They don't look pretty at this stage, but you just have to reshape them before you put them in the fryer. Now they're ready to be fried! Yay! Now get in line. No, get in line behind me.

The trick to successful sesame seed balls is controlling the temperature of the oil. If the outside layer is too thick, the dough wouldn't cook all the way through. If the oil is too hot, the outside would burn quickly and the inside would not be heated through. The first couple that were made weren't cooked properly and had to be, sadly, thrown out. See the one on the far right? Yeah that big one. It wasn't cooked - I should know, I tried to eat it.

These are so amazing. My mouth is watering just looking at these pictures. Crunchy on the outside, a bit sticky from the glutinous rice dough, and a sweet mung bean filling. I'm definitely going to order this next time I go for dim sum. Well, that is if they have a dessert one. Next time my mom is going to try to make savoury ones. Stay tuned.


The next day, December 3rd, it snowed some more. This was the snow storm that hit most of north eastern provinces and states. We had something like a foot of snow. Here's a cute picture of our future Christmas tree that day.. muhahahaa! Nah, just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...