Friday, January 11, 2008

Battered Plantains - December 21st

After lunch we all went to my grandma's house to have some tea and chat then my grandpa, grandma, two uncles and my aunt went to my grandpa's house for dinner. I stayed behind with my uncle and other grandma. We just sat around, watched tv, sipped tea, and digested.

Once my grandma was finished digesting, she got up and went into the kitchen. I got up from the couch and went into the kitchen to see what she was up to. She was cutting up plantains. She mentioned that the plantains she had were a bit too ripe to her liking.

I wondered what she was making. She then brought out a batter mix and sesame seeds. Right when she brought out the batter mix, I knew she was going to make battered plantains with sesame seeds. I love this stuff. She dissolved some sugar in warm water then added the batter mix. Once it was the consistency she liked, my grandma added the uncooked sesame seeds. The batter consistency was probably in between pancake and crêpe batter. Here's a close up.


She poured some oil in the wok and turned the heat up. Dipping slices of plantains into the batter, she gently slipped them into the hot oil.

A couple of minutes on one side and a couple of minutes on the other and they were done. It was crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside. It wasn't as sweet as I hoped it would be, but it was still slightly sweet.


My grandma uses yams, plantains and bananas, I believe. I love them all, especially the sweet ones. I'm not sure if she uses the bananas to make the sweet ones, but thinking about it now, the sweet ones could be riper plantains. I'll ask my grandma next time.



~*~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...