Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cambodiana’s Second Chance – April 4, 2009

Little Saigon, while cheap and reliable, does not produce the most exciting food. Jimmy and I had gotten sick of eating the same old stuff, so we gave Cambodiana another try. We tried this restaurant a few years ago, but then forgot about it.

Cambodiana focuses more on Cambodian-Thai food, which is closer to what I eat at home. The flavours and textures were definitely more familiar to me than Little Saigon’s food.

We first ordered a fried fish cake appetizer. This was the most expensive appetizer on the menu, but I was craving some REAL home food. It is made by mixing minced fish meat with minced herbs and spices (lime leaf, curry paste). The meat is then shaped into pucks and fried until golden. Because it’s a fairly greasy and heavy dish, it is normally served with pickled vegetables (cabbage, carrots, and cucumbers) to cut the grease. I meant to take pictures, but these fish cakes tasted so much like my mum’s that I gobbled them up before I knew what I was doing. My bad….

moto_0117_edited-1

I can’t remember what Jimmy ate, but it looks like it could be either green curry chicken or salaw kako. I think it was green curry chicken because I recall him ordering the kako another time.

moto_0121_edited-1

I ordered a vermicelli bowl (bun) with grilled pork, grilled shrimp, and spring rolls. The spring rolls were okay. Not spectacular, but not inedible. Same goes for the grilled pork. The shrimp, on the other hand, were juicy and perfectly grilled. It was also seasoned properly, so the spices drew out the sweetness of the shrimp. Ahhh, I hadn’t eaten such succulent shrimp in a long time.

Jimmy wasn’t sure if his dish would fill him, so he ordered the special of the day—some sort of sour soup with coconut milk.

This meal came to $36-ish, which shocked Jimmy. He was used to paying with a $20 bill at Little Saigon. We rarely ordered this many dishes from Little Saigon. Though Cambodiana is pricier, the food tastes a lot better. It became our new favourite place.

~ * ~

Cambodiana
161 Brock Street (Brock and Montreal, by the bus shelters)
Kingston, ON
(613) 531-0888
*Cash or debit only*

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...