Monday, March 21, 2011

No Luck at D'Arcy McGees

A few weeks ago, Lucy and Jimmy had dinner at D’Arcy McGees with some friends. Lucy came back gushing about the food and the prices. I went onto the pub's website and checked out their menu. It looked quite good, but Lucy said they were currently in the process of changing the menu. Lucy had some kind of leek and fish pie (something that wasn’t going to be on the new menu). While looking through the website, I noticed that they had shuttles to the Scotiabank Place for hockey games.

Since I had tickets to an upcoming Sens game, I made a mental note to go to D’Arcys for some food before the game. Flash forward a few days later.

Sam and I had dinner at their Kanata location before hopping on a shuttle to watch the Sens to take the Penguins. I was really hoping that the menu hadn't changed yet and that I could try the pie Lucy had, but it was nowhere to be found. There were only three pies on the new menu; Shephard’s pie, chicken pie and a seafood pie. Damn... I was too late. The menus had changed already. 

Blarney Chips
I've heard about the blarney chips before. Can't remember where. Sam and I started with a plate of those. These were criss-cross cut fries that were topped with diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, and drizzles of nacho cheese. Salsa and sour cream were served on the side. I wish there was more nacho cheese, but other than that, these were great as an appetizer. You can't tell from this picture, but the plate is huge!

Mini Yorkshire Puddings
1
I settled with the mini Yorkshire puddings. I knew they were going to be small, but I was disappointed at how small they were. The braised beef-filled Yorkshire puddings were topped with a flavourless white cheddar cheese. The three wee little things served with a bit of coleslaw.

Mini Yorkshire Puddings
2
The braised beef filling was bit dry and lacked flavour. I wouldn’t order these again, only cause I’d rather have something more substantial and flavourful. I guess I was hoping that there would be some kind of Irish stew of some sort, but alas, it was just not meant to be.

Club Sandwich
Sam ordered the club sandwich with the salad as a side. She enjoyed it and said that they make one of the best club sandwiches in Ottawa.

Overall, dinner was okay. It's better than the over-priced stuff at the Scotiabank Place. Because we split the blarney chips, both of our bills came to around $20. Not bad. I’m definitely going to go back to D’Arcy to try their other stuff. I hope they’ll bring back some of their old dishes as specials during the week. I really want to try the leek and fish pie!

The Sens lost 5-1 if you were wondering. It was such a disappointing game.

On another note, D'Arcy has a location at the Ottawa airport so you can get blarney chips before you hop on your plane (or when you get off your plane).


~*~

Address:
655 Terry Fox Dr.
Kanata, ON
613-836-8311
D'Arcy McGees on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...